Guide to the Initial Assessments of Competency
These should be completed (usually) by 3 months:
How to complete the assessments & paperwork
- On the following page is the list of competencies (appendix 1), each one has a corresponding code; for either DOPS, ACEX or CBD. These all start with IAC (Initial assessment of competence) followed by _A01 etc.
- Print it out & carry it with you at work.
- Ask your supervising consultant if they will perform one (or more) of the assessments
- Keep a signed record (ideally on page 2 of appendix 2, the reverse side of the certificate) of who has done each assessment and when.
- Log into your account after the assessment and send it to the supervisor.
From the home page, select the tab ‘Assessment tools’ then Enter New Assessment Tool’
In the ‘Enter Assessment Tool’ section select a Consultant whom you want to fill in the form. You may need to search the consultant first.
Then select the type of assessment. DOPS, CBD etc..
The simply add some information to the observation box. I suggest write the details of the assessment, for example:
Recover the patient from anaesthesia (this would be IAC_A05)
Then in the code box type: IAC_A05
Email a ticket – to email just click the email to assessor tab at the bottom.
- Repeat the above for the other 18 IAC’s.
- The Final Sign off. For this you need appendix 2 with all the competencies completed. Take it to your Es or College Tutor. 2 consultants need to sign this form (usually ES and College Tutor
- This Compency document is required to be present in your e-Portfolio.