6 month advanced training unit in hepatobiliary surgery and transplantation in the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle.
Supervisor: Dr Sam Burnside, Consultant Anaesthetist.
To develop knowledge, skills and interest in anaesthesia for a challenging surgical field. Providing appropriate opportunities and support to complete outcomes listed in CCT in Anaesthetics Advanced level training – hepatobiliary surgery (HPB).
Regular lists in HPB allowing exposure to all aspects of surgery including:
- Liver Resection
- Whipples Procedure (Pancreaticoduodenectomy)
- Distal Pancreatectomy
- Abdominal Sarcoma Surgery
- Heptico jejunostomy
With opportunity for direct involvement with
- Orthotopic Liver transplantation
- Simultaneous Pancreatic and Kidney Transplantation
To get the most out of the placement will require enthusiasm, drive and excellent communication and team working skills which we also hope to see grow throughout the unit. This should allow development of:
- Understanding of specific anaesthetic challenges in HPB and transplant
- Perioperative management of major cases
- Use of intra operative haemodynamic monitoring
- Use of point of care testing (ABG, Thromboelastography)
- Organisational and decision making skills
- Interest in this type of major surgery
- Complete Audit/Quality Improvement project
- Actively engage in departmental teaching programme. Including organising a session on HPB topic.
- Completion of appropriate WBAs, MSF
Review of outcomes with WBAs, MSF.